Winter Riding

kevin10529
This post is 5700 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

make sure you've got decent tyres and be smooth with your throttle. When breaking don't just grab a handfull be progressive. Keep slightly more distant from the car in front when at speed, watch out for damp patches on an otherwise dry road, they can catch you out.

And keep relexed, don't tense up because your worried about the condition or you're more likely to make a misake.

make sure you've got decent tyres and be smooth with your throttle. When breaking don't just grab a handfull be progressive. Keep slightly more distant from the car in front when at speed, watch out for damp patches on an otherwise dry road, they can catch you out.

And keep relexed, don't tense up because your worried about the condition or you're more likely to make a misake.

I agree, also take your bends slightly differently, dont be leaning over too much, dont get me wrong, thier is plenty of grip on the surface, but if your lean angle is too much in the wet, you will slide, take a more straight approach. Try to be comfortable in your clothes, dont be cold!! Good gloves, boots,winter jacket and pants are needed if you are really wanting to be out in it...its quite tranquill when your out in the snow up a moor somewhere.....

Use a metric feck-ton of ACF 50 or similar, else you'll be riding a bucket of rust come Spring!!!

Use a metric feck-ton of ACF 50 or similar, else you'll be riding a bucket of rust come Spring!!!

Is that Rust protector? My bike is rather bad for rust just now so i better invest. Can you put that on wheels?

You can spray it on anything, though I'd SERIOUSLY suggest masking stuff like tyres, brakes etc.

It's a water displacement solution, which forms a protective barrier against road crap and salt.

The crap sticks to the ACF layer, rather than your bike, thus helping to prevent corrosion.

You coat the bike with it and then wash it off after winter.

Personally, Id recommend washing the bike and re-applying at least once a month, maybe more if you've been on a particularly long journey through heavy road grit.

As for existing rust - A full clean, followed by a lot of polishing with Autosol will take care of surface rust. Anything deeper (ie holes in yer pipes) and the part will possibly need replacing.

You can spray it on anything, though I'd SERIOUSLY suggest masking stuff like tyres, brakes etc.

It's a water displacement solution, which forms a protective barrier against road crap and salt.

The crap sticks to the ACF layer, rather than your bike, thus helping to prevent corrosion.

You coat the bike with it and then wash it off after winter.

Personally, Id recommend washing the bike and re-applying at least once a month, maybe more if you've been on a particularly long journey through heavy road grit.

As for existing rust - A full clean, followed by a lot of polishing with Autosol will take care of surface rust. Anything deeper (ie holes in yer pipes) and the part will possibly need replacing.

You certinly know ur stuff, got a tube of Autosol on the way from ebay and a can of spray ACF 5O.

Rust not to bad Just some on the pipe, rims and a little on the disk breaks (not on the contact area).

Will i just use a rag for the Autusol or will i need something more hardcore eg. wire wool??

cheers kev.

Put bike in garage November and get out again in March.

That's how I deal with winter. :lol::lol:

LOL wish i could do that too mate but its my only form of getting about!

Winters up here tend to be a bit more chilly and wet than what you boys get down south.

Still beats walking........... grind!!

Ttaskmaster, what about chain lube? whats the best and how often do you apply.

cheers again.

When I used to commute, I lubed the visible chain after every wet ride.

I use wd40 to clean and this stuff to lube- http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-760-castrol-ch...ax-aerosol.aspx

The other option is a scottoiler- http://www.scottoiler.com/

They can be a little tricky to set up but at least your chain should be lubed all the time.

WIRE WOOL??????!!!!!!!!!!

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Get a very soft, lint-free cloth.

If you're lucky, the missus will provide you with an old t-shirt. Women usually have lovely soft cloth-garments....

Rub the Autosol in thoroughly and then polish away to a streak-free mirror shine!!

You won't need much - Just a pea-sized amount for a whole exhaust muffler, maybe a touch more.

Can't help you on chain lube, though - Mine's a shaft-drive, for that very 'easy and maintenance-free' reason :D

I'm a lazy $&@~ and hate fecking about with chains all the time.

Scottoilers can get a bit messy, but you just clean regularly.

They are indeed very good and most people I know use 'em!!

Ditto on the Scottoiler. All my recent bikes have had them fitted. however, the previous owner of my old TDM had fitted the reservoir under the seat with the outlet pipe ABOVE the filling point. That explained why the chain was rusty. I repositioned it onto the frame so it was almost upright (with the outlet at the BOTTOM).

Don't forget to check it each week too. And keep it topped up. It's not quite "fit and forget"; I've seen loads of bikes with empty Scottoiler reservoirs, which rather defeats the object.

The standard kit is about £60, I think.

like you i ride all year round. got a car but prefer the bike all you need is good tyres and plenty of sense. :rolleyes:

When I used to commute, I lubed the visible chain after every wet ride.

I use wd40 to clean and this stuff to lube- http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-760-castrol-ch...ax-aerosol.aspx

The other option is a scottoiler- http://www.scottoiler.com/

They can be a little tricky to set up but at least your chain should be lubed all the time.

Been on ebay and got some Castrol Chain Wax Aerosol. Scottoiler seems a bit excessive. Take it keeping your chain lubed makes it last longer and less chance of disaster??!!

Another question..... how do you know when your chain and sprocket needs replaced?

Love this forum, keep the info flowing!!

Rub the Autosol in thoroughly and then polish away to a streak-free mirror shine!!

You won't need much - Just a pea-sized amount for a whole exhaust muffler, maybe a touch more.

Sure your not a salesman for Autosol?? :lol:

Guest FZ6 GEOFF S2

Rode my fazer throu the winter! I got washed down with water every nite i got home from work or a ride.

after 10,000 miles from new (a year old in october) it still look spanking

In winter theres loads of salt on the road and it causes the brake disks to rust so coat them with an ample coating of grease this will create a good barrier against the elements.

Let me get this right, you're recommending that people apply grease to their brake discs?

Not the best advice I've ever seen given.

Guest FZ6 GEOFF S2

Let me get this right, you're recommending that people apply grease to their brake discs?

Not the best advice I've ever seen given.

lol

Maybe he should of said the break grease u can get

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online