New tyre already!!!!!

awh18awh
This post is 5524 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys

Ive done about 4300 miles on my new 08 R6 and the back tyre is starting to square off and get a bit thin down the middle. Is this about the milage i'll get out of back tyres?

Also if i need a new one where is the best place and how much am i looking at for a new back tyre the same as the one before (stock - Dunlop something??)

Cheers!!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

simple answer - yes. you may wanna try a tyre with a harder middle compound if it is squaring off. have a look on the m and p site.

Do you by any chance commute on your bike?

The more you ride along straight roads, the quicker your tyres will square off.

The OE tyres are the Dunlop D207s and are, IME, in all honesty, crap compared to others available.

The best R6 tyres I have found are the Michelin Pilot Sports, Pirelli Dragon Corsa IIs or , if you are on a budget, Conti Sport Attacks.

Do you by any chance commute on your bike?

The more you ride along straight roads, the quicker your tyres will square off.

The OE tyres are the Dunlop D207s and are, IME, in all honesty, crap compared to others available.

The best R6 tyres I have found are the Michelin Pilot Sports, Pirelli Dragon Corsa IIs or , if you are on a budget, Conti Sport Attacks.

Yeah i do commute now and again, makes sense for it to be going down in the middle.

You say there is better tyres but the front is still ok, do the front and back have to be the same?

What sort of price range am i looking at?

Yeah i do commute now and again, makes sense for it to be going down in the middle.

You say there is better tyres but the front is still ok, do the front and back have to be the same?

What sort of price range am i looking at?

Geday mate, That is actually quite good mileage out of a rear. Yeah run a conti sport attack on the rear, and it is not unusual for a front to last as long as 2 rears. In my opinion it is not a problem mixing brands however plenty of people will disagree! Don't get into the business of replacing a front routinely just because you are replacing a rear. It will send you broke and remember to fit new stumpy valve stems every new tyre. The sport attacks are around $260 Australian and I think that is about 110-120 pound. In my opinion Dunlop are rubbish. HAVE A BLAST and get used to throwing tyres at sports bikes,It is the nature of the beast!

you have a super sport mate that is a good milage for it !

i no some lads with sport bikes and they get about 2000miles out a tire

Geday mate, That is actually quite good mileage out of a rear. Yeah run a conti sport attack on the rear, and it is not unusual for a front to last as long as 2 rears. In my opinion it is not a problem mixing brands however plenty of people will disagree! Don't get into the business of replacing a front routinely just because you are replacing a rear. It will send you broke and remember to fit new stumpy valve stems every new tyre. The sport attacks are around $260 Australian and I think that is about 110-120 pound. In my opinion Dunlop are rubbish. HAVE A BLAST and get used to throwing tyres at sports bikes,It is the nature of the beast!

Ok cool. Stumpy valve stems??????

If i buy the tyre from m&p can i take it to the yamaha dealer by me and get them to put it on? Should i take the whole bike or take the back wheel off and take them that?

Cheers again for everyones post, really helping me out!!

IME, if you are using your R6 for commuting and decide on a pair of Conti Attacks, go for the Sport Attack on the front and Road Attack on the rear.

I have this setup on both my R6 and Thunderace. Both bikes are up to around the 8k mark on these tyres. The R6 tyres are still perfect shape and the Ace tyres have only just started to square off (commuting on the Motorway).

I fitted them for the TT last year. Both my wife and I love them to bits.

As for price, I pay £160 for a fitted pair. Rear only, I pay £90 fitted.

IME, if you are using your R6 for commuting and decide on a pair of Conti Attacks, go for the Sport Attack on the front and Road Attack on the rear.

I have this setup on both my R6 and Thunderace. Both bikes are up to around the 8k mark on these tyres. The R6 tyres are still perfect shape and the Ace tyres have only just started to square off (commuting on the Motorway).

I fitted them for the TT last year. Both my wife and I love them to bits.

As for price, I pay £160 for a fitted pair. Rear only, I pay £90 fitted.

Thats great thanks madison. I do commute on the motorway so might try this combo out. Check out my post above with reference to a dealer fitting them etc.

Any ideas??

Cheers

If i buy the tyre from m&p can i take it to the yamaha dealer by me and get them to put it on? Should i take the whole bike or take the back wheel off and take them that?

dont go to a car tyre place like national tyres etc cos there crap, take yer back wheel off, get it, and your newly purchased tyre, to a reputable bike shop they'll stick it on for you for peanuts,, hence the term, monkey wrench he he, but at least you'll know its fitted right , balanced etc, properly..

and thats good mileage yer gettin , i replace my gixxer tyre at 2 thousand cos its usually a bit ''tyred'' by then..

dont go to a car tyre place like national tyres etc cos there crap, take yer back wheel off, get it, and your newly purchased tyre, to a reputable bike shop they'll stick it on for you for peanuts,, hence the term, monkey wrench he he, but at least you'll know its fitted right , balanced etc, properly..

and thats good mileage yer gettin , i replace my gixxer tyre at 2 thousand cos its usually a bit ''tyred'' by then..

Spot on. Cheers gabby

You did better than I did - I only managed to get 3900 miles out of the back tyre on my FZ6 (a 180/55/17 Bridgestone BT020). Admittedly, it was because of the centre of the tread going thin due to a bit of commuting but I was really surprised esp. as some claim to get double that. I have stuck with Bridgestone but fitted a dual compound BT021 - they claim it is harder in the middle to resist the squaring off but also a bit tacky out toward the edges for an extra bit of confidence in the corners. Also my tyre was graining after a short run on the motorway - I've been in touch with Bridgestone to ask if that is normal who say that it isn't but point the finger back at me for either under inflation or thrashing the living daylights out of it - both of which I know not to be the case.

I paid £93 fitted for the BT021; that said if the BT021 is no better then I'll be looking at another manufacturer.

My wife has always used B'Stones in the past.

Her R6 was shod with 014/021 combo and they were absolute crap. After less than 4k miles, the 021 rear was totally square and the 014 front was chisel shaped. She doesn't commute on her bike, purely twisty pleasure.

She is now on the Conti Attacks like myself (Sport front and Road rear) and we are both easily running up over twice the mileage of the 014/021s before any signs of needing new tyres.

I used to run RP2s on my Cat which were great for high mileage and wet grip, but dry grip was nowhere near as good as the Attacks I am now running.

• 3 weeks later...

You generally can choose from grip or long-wearing in a tyre - if you're squaring off your rear, maybe you'd do well to consider a dual-compound tyre? Hard in the middle, soft on the outside. Michelin make some good uns.

Other option is to get the hardest single compound tyre you can find, like a Dunlop GT501 - will be long wearing but still offer reasonable grip (although nothing like the sticky Pilot Powers or other supersport rubber).

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online