A plea!

wild foamy
This post is 5439 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

got a bit of a problem, and i cant post this in the wanted section because im not a paying member (i was going to get around to it, honest!).

anyhoo, coming through town today i noticed my gear lever wasn't centering when i changed gear, and after a short while it didnt change at all, i managed to get it home and on further inspection revealed that the splines had worn down with only the innermost splines remaining.

so... does anyone have a spare gearchange shaft for a DT50MX they could donate or sell to me cheap? i've filed down the gear lever to allow the bolt to clamp it tighter on to the shaft and that should get me to RAF Halton on thursday but i dont know how long it will hold out.

ive got a fiver, maybe six and that wont get me a brand new replacement lever :unsure:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

could you drill thru the selector and shaft and put a wee bolt thru ?

many years ago I used mole grips as a selector, not asthetic I kno, and was a c@nt if you hit the release lever !

good luck Foamy am sure the good peeps on here will get it sorted ;)

may be able to drill through the shaft and selector, but that sounds like a big job and i dont have a lot of time to do it, i have got very basic hand tools; a set of spanners and sockets, a few screwdrivers and a hammer,

cut apart an old inner tube and wrap the shaft once around with that. then put the selector back on and tighten.

the rubber will help keep it from slipping, as long as you dont stand on it.

may be able to drill through the shaft and selector, but that sounds like a big job and i dont have a lot of time to do it, i have got very basic hand tools; a set of spanners and sockets, a few screwdrivers and a hammer,

But no moleys?, get your act together, you cant do proper bodges without the right gear :rolleyes:

think LD's cracked it-good 1 :)

can't see that working dave, there isnt enough clearence to get the rubber in between the shaft and selector, it only seems to be when shifting up that the lever doesnt have enough grip to overcome the pull of the return spring and skips a spline, then when you push the lever down to try and centre it the bl**dy thing drops a gear ¬¬

foamy, you could also take your "fiver" to a muffler shop or other place that does welding. and ask one of the fellas there to tack weld the lever on at the outside in a few places. offer him the "fiver" under the suggestion that he can use it to buy a pint or two.

later when the correct part can be located, the welds can be filed or ground off, releasing your lever.

now that's a plan, ive got a mate with a welder, will have a word with him tomorrow and see what he says :P

also, i think the oil seal is letting go because oil is starting to seep out along the shaft, would this affect the welding?

now that's a plan, ive got a mate with a welder, will have a word with him tomorrow and see what he says :P

also, i think the oil seal is letting go because oil is starting to seep out along the shaft, would this affect the welding?

shouldnt, just clean the shaft with a rag first. the oil will most likely vaporize as the metal melts. make sure that you ground to the lever when you weld, that way the current wont go wayward through your engine. not that that would be bad, but wouldnt want to take the chance that some tight clearance item like a piston arcs and welds itself to something else.

while youre at it, why not weld that pesky leak closed? ;)

'cus then i wouldt be able to move the shaft, lol :P

well, that would kill a few birds with one stone..... make sure it stays in a mid gear. :P

good luck. lemme know how it comes out.

im one of those self fabricators (to a certain extent) if you ever need an idea, feel free to pm me.

will do mate, is it a tough job to remove the whole shaft and replace it?, would i need to take the clutch and all that other stuff off or is it a case of undoing a few bolts and sliding it out?

will do mate, is it a tough job to remove the whole shaft and replace it?, would i need to take the clutch and all that other stuff off or is it a case of undoing a few bolts and sliding it out?

I dunno, never done that before.

cut apart an old inner tube and wrap the shaft once around with that. then put the selector back on and tighten.

the rubber will help keep it from slipping, as long as you dont stand on it.

Ive done exactly that before but used a slice of aluminium cut from a beer can...needs must....worked ok for a while too. Steve youre gonna have to make a good job of it mate, DONT be late for the RAF

Ive done exactly that before but used a slice of aluminium cut from a beer can...needs must....worked ok for a while too. Steve youre gonna have to make a good job of it mate, DONT be late for the RAF

this wont be your first day will it?, :mellow:

yeh, im going thursday and friday for my pre-entry training... have to arrive between 0830 and 1030 hours, its only in Aylesbury and i can get the DT there without too much drama, jsut have to set off a bit earlier in the morning than i usually do ;)

well, my quick fix of cutting down the lever did work... until my "mates" decided to swipe the keys from my jacket and take the bike for a spin around the block :angry: , now the splines are definately f*cked, will wait until sunday and take it to my dads to be drileld and put a bolt through it i guess

that's what "friends" are for! :P

seriously though, your "mates" did keep you from breaking down someplace on your trip.

wouldn't want the RAF to consider you A.W.O.L. before you even start.

imagine having to start basic after pushing yer dt there...

of course it would break in second gear so that you would also be holding in the clutch the whole time you pushed it, and would arrive with a nasty arm/hand cramp.

(what can I say, "I'm a optimistic pessimist." : "I know shyt is gonna go wrong!")

well, my quick fix of cutting down the lever did work... until my "mates" decided to swipe the keys from my jacket and take the bike for a spin around the block :angry: , now the splines are definately f*cked, will wait until sunday and take it to my dads to be drileld and put a bolt through it i guess

Makes sense if the shaft and the selector are fubar anyhow.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online