SR125 Stolen/Recovered Rebuild

KirriePete
This post is 5298 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Righto, first things first - legal disclaimer: It ain't mine, the prospective daughter-in-law saw this, wanted it and bought it, now she's dropped it in my shed for fettling.

Pics:

PICT0006Large-2.jpg

PICT0008Large-3.jpg

PICT0007Large-3.jpg

It's a '91 3MW and doesn't appear to need too much doing to it - list as first appraised:

Seized front brake

Sloppy head bearings

No keys

No battery

Smashed back light

Buggered chain guard (some twat with a hacksaw tried to make it look "sporty")

Wrong rear brake hub (dunno what it's off, but it ain't an SR!)

Seems reasonable, doesn't it? A quick weekend should see it sorted, no? OK - revised list after some fettling:

Front brake OK - corrosion thy name is Yamaha calipers...

Head bearings, cleaned, repacked & tightened

Keys - local locksmith cut one from the number on the barrel - doesn't fit the tank, though ....

Battery - got several in the shed, nice little 4AH plugged in

Back light, lens replaced, surround ...... I love Araldite!

Chain guard - ebay

Brake hub - ebay

New stuff added to list as of this weekend:

No starter motor lead - made one up from an old jump lead

No horn - ebay is your friend....

Earth strap disintegrated - remember that jump lead? Plenty left over ...

No indicator relay - local car factor, 2-pin, 12V generic jobby

Exhaust mount allen bolts rusted to oblivion - plenty M6 threaded bar in the shed, couple of nuts & spring washers - sorted (probably)

Questions for the assembled brains:

What's the route for the starter motor lead from solenoid to motor? Also, where should the earth strap go? I've nailed it onto the rear engine mount for now, but ......

The only signs of electrical life are a shiny neutral light and a click from the solenoid when I flick the run/stop knob on and off. Can I bypass the starter motor cutoff relay (wiring diagram suggests connecting the 2 R/W leads will do it), without destroying all of Western civilisation?

Tank key - should I just drill the lock & forget about it, or is there a secret handshake?

Any tricks'n'tips that 'those in the know' could pass on? Seem to recall something about bleeding the oilways after an oil change .... ?

Apparently she won't be riding it until Spring - dunno why not, something about cold & wet/snowy (never stopped me) - so I've got plenty time to get it right.

Opinions, hints, tips, offers of free parts/beer/rum always welcome.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

first off I am new here and haven't worked on that particular bike

however, as far as the key problem is concerned

I have had good luck in the past with both a FZR and an old XS650 taking the tank lock apart and removing/ rearranging tumblers in order to make an ignition key work (hopefully someone with more experience can tell you which ones need to be removed for this particular bike) if not trial and error doesn't take as long as you might think (you should be able to see pretty well which ones are causing the problem once you have the lock about halfway apart)

sorry I dont know more details and good luck on your project

ps... there are probably better ways... but a long straight blade screwdriver and a plastic putty knife will usually remove the cap from the tank just take your time and dont pry too hard on the lip of the tank

Update as of this afternoon:

IT'S ALIVE!!!!!

Battery in, fresh unleaded into the carb and a screwdriver across the starter solenoid. 5 seconds of cranking and a healthy wee roar from the (completely buggered) exhaust. Runs up and down the gearbox sweetly, so the mill looks OK.

Things left to do:

Replace the rear mudguard/light unit - the electrics on the current one look like they've been left at the bottom of the Dead Sea for 20 years! Ebay is your friend.

New 'zorst on the way via ..... you guessed it .... ebay.

Choke not staying on - is there a secret or do I need to replace the wee rubber thingy?

Chain & sprockets are buggered (thought that a soak in paraffin would cure it - I was wrong) - replacements on the way from WEMoto.

Why is it not cranking on the button? Must get Hyenas manual back from Number 1 Son so I can check the wiring ....

That's all folks!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online