Dt Mx Wiring Help

GreatWill
This post is 5081 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have a Dt Mx 125 2A8 engine that is connected to a buggy, but I'm not sure of the wiring and any help would be appreciated. I just need to know what connects to what. There are no lights ect, I just need to create the spark. I have looked at a wiring Diagram but not having much luck.

p4200387.jpg

p4200388.jpg

p4200390.jpg

Many Thanks

~ Will

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Magneto Black (Chassis) to CDI Black

Magneto White/Red to CDI White/Red

Magneto Brown to CDI Brown

For the engine stop

CDI Black/White to a switch and then back to chassis

CDI Black to chassis

CDI Orange to HT coil

Other HT coil wire to chassis

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for all your help, but Im still having trouble to get a spark (I did about 3 years ago before I took it off the buggy so know it should work)

I have tried to create a paint masterpiece to help me explain what I have got so far:

wire.png

And here are some actual pictures if they help (It was hard to get a suitable angle)

p5230406.jpg

p5230405.jpg

p5230403.jpg

Any advice would be greatly received

Many Thanks

~Will

what have you done with the CDI Bk / We ?

EDIT

It looks to me that you connected it to a black

Disconnect it from that black, connect the black to chassis with the other black

Connect the Bk/We throgh a switch to chassis, this will then be your engine kill switch. When the switch is open you have spark, when closed...no spark.

Right, I have now changed that and this is what I have:

Mag White / Red -> CDI White / Red

Mag Brown -> CDI Brown

Mag Black -. CDI Black -> Chassis? (Not sure about that part)

Mag Lighting / Charge -> Just dangling

CDI Black -> Chassis

CDI White/Black -> Just dangling as I have no switch at the moment.

CDI Orange -> HT Lead

I'm still not getting a spark, and I have tested the spark plug on a lawnmower and it worked. Can I use a multimeter somewhere to test it?

Thanks once again for all your help!

Right, I have now changed that and this is what I have:

Mag White / Red -> CDI White / Red

Mag Brown -> CDI Brown

Mag Black -. CDI Black Socket-> Chassis? (Not sure about that part)This one not to chassis

Mag Lighting / Charge -> Just dangling

CDI Black Plug -> Chassis

CDI White/Black -> Just dangling as I have no switch at the moment.

CDI Orange -> HT Lead

I'm still not getting a spark, and I have tested the spark plug on a lawnmower and it worked. Can I use a multimeter somewhere to test it?

Thanks once again for all your help!

This is as the wiring diagram, If that does not work we need to check coil resistances next.

Right, So i have all the connections as above. I have been playing with the multimeter and I am getting slight volts from most the wires. Red / White & Brown are showing the most but they are all so varied from each kick (From 0.10 to around 1.5 max) The only wires I am not getting a reading from is the Black MAG & the HT Lead. The Orange CDI is around 0.30 each kick. Every reading seems so inconsistent Does this mean anything?

When you say it should have a wire to the "same chassis common point", There are no places on the HT Coil for another wire to be attached to?

When you say it should have a wire to the "same chassis common point", There are no places on the HT Coil for another wire to be attached to?

When on a standard bike, there is a ring terminal under the HT coil mounting bolt, with Bk wire to chassis.

But as the Ht Coil is already mounted on the chassis via the bolt ( Creating an earth) Is it needed?

I'm starting to think maybe one (If not multiple) wires could be making a bad connection or something, there are multiple joins on most the wires.

But as the Ht Coil is already mounted on the chassis via the bolt ( Creating an earth) Is it needed?

Thats how it is on the bike, the bolt alone isnt trusted and a wire is placed under it. I do understand your scepticism but you are not in a position to cast doubt. :rolleyes:

I'm starting to think maybe one (If not multiple) wires could be making a bad connection or something, there are multiple joins on most the wires.

If your'e not happy with the connections, neither am I. It goes without saying the all need to be clean and sound, as in no oily wires twisted together.

More things to check

Check the resistance values of your magneto source coil = 420 ohms +- 10%............Brown to chassis

Check the resistance of the magneto pulse coil = 12.4 ohms +- 10%...........White / Red to chassis

Check the resistance values of the ignition coil, Primary = 1.0 ohm =- 15%, secondary = 5900 ohms +- 20%

But sort the wiring first.

Just been looking at the wiring, at the base of the Ignition Coil where the HT lead comes out the wire was completely broken.

I'm not sure If its worth me paying to get a new Ignition Coil in a hope that it was the only fault.

I am thinking I am now just going to have to Sell the whole buggy and engine on ebay.

Thanks for all your help

~ Will

Just been looking at the wiring, at the base of the Ignition Coil where the HT lead comes out the wire was completely broken.

I'm not sure If its worth me paying to get a new Ignition Coil in a hope that it was the only fault.

I am thinking I am now just going to have to Sell the whole buggy and engine on ebay.

Thanks for all your help

~ Will

Pattern coils are not all that expensive

Just do a search for one, I guess you are American, here in the uk for example

http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/Yamaha/DT_175_MX/78-79/picture/Ignition_Coil/'>http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/Yamaha/DT_175_MX/78-79/picture/Ignition_Coil/

http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/Yamaha/DT_175_MX/78-79/

£16.45

You will also probably fetch a better price for a runner

If the coil is scrap as it stands now...why not have a go at digging out the lead from it and replacing that with some new lead...nothing to loose there

just check you get the 5900 ohms or whatever before you buy new lead.

Me again... :D, Just given it another test with the Multi Meter and tbh with you I am not entirely sure what settings it should be on, here are my results.

Wire Going In -> Ignition Coil Ground = 0.12 On 200 ohm Scale (It sometimes moves much higher at the start but seems to settle on this number and this is the only setting I can get a reasonable / registering number on)

Ht Coil Wire -> Ignition Coil Ground = 6.20 ish on 20k ohm Scale

What would this suggest?

(I am in the Uk)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online