Vobbling Diversion XJ900S

aned
This post is 4978 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi.

I have a 1997 Diversion XJ900S and it runs like a dream.

Steady as a rock, But when I let go of the hands it starts to vobble.

I have had bikes before and never experiensed this.

Don´t say " keep the hands on". I just want to knew if it´s a diversion feature or a bug.

What kan I do to prevent it? Are there any vobbling steer gas dampers to use? or is the barings of the steering axel bad?

Best regards

Anders

• 2 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi.

Don´t say " keep the hands on". I just want to knew if it´s a diversion feature or a bug.

What kan I do to prevent it? Are there any vobbling steer gas dampers to use? or is the barings of the steering axel bad?

Best regards

Anders

Hi

I had a 1997, 900 Diversion, It was always a very steady ride, absolutely no wobbles at all,

So if it were my bike I would check’

• Tyres for damage and pressures, are the tyres on the rims with the direction arrow the right way?

• Wheel balance,

• Wheel bearings,

• Wheel trueness,

• Wheel alignment,

• Steering head bearings,

• Front fork leg alignment, has the bike been in a crash?

• Fork tubes worn in the Fork leg lowers, Fork oil levels correct,

• Brake discs for warping,

• Does the bike have a top box, if so take it off and try again!!

I know these are all the obvious things to check, and that you have probably already done all this, but my thought would be that a steering damper might make the bike wobble a bit less, But what faults if any would it be covering up?

• 1 month later...

I've had 2 diversions and they both had this feature. Only one solution and that is via bearings, either regrease and re torque the steering (ball)bearings or get "roller bearings" fitted. The wobble will be particularly noticable with loaded panniers/top box until the bearings are done

Best

Hi.

Best regards

Anders

Hi

I had a 1997, 900 Diversion, It was always a very steady ride, absolutely no wobbles at all,

So if it were my bike I would check’

• Tyres for damage and pressures, are the tyres on the rims with the direction arrow the right way?

• Wheel balance,

• Wheel bearings,

• Wheel trueness,

• Wheel alignment,

• Steering head bearings,

• Front fork leg alignment, has the bike been in a crash?

• Fork tubes worn in the Fork leg lowers, Fork oil levels correct,

• Brake discs for warping,

• Does the bike have a top box, if so take it off and try again!!

I know these are all the obvious things to check, and that you have probably already done all this, but my thought would be that a steering damper might make the bike wobble a bit less, But what faults if any would it be covering up?

Whole pile of sense in your reply. what do you know about Ignition Control Units. My Diversion lost 2 cylinders symultaneously, coil was done for but even a good coil fails to work now and my guess is that it's the ICU. Any ideas??

thanks

Hi I am flattered with your response to the wobbling Diversion problem in the previous,

I am an engineer with experience in all forms of vehicles but judging from your previous investigation, and assuming that all else in the electrical system is standard and has been checked for its integrity, I can only suggest that you follow a procedure of elimination, perhaps if you could use a breakers yard(vehicle dismantlers) and substitute the control unit for another,

It may be better for you to start another thread as there are some very knowledgeable Yamaha technicians that use this site, I will keep an eye open for any related information so long as the thread stays active,

In 40 thousand miles my Diversion only had a fuel tank sender unit fail and that was its only fault,

I hope you find the fix and post it for others, thats why a fresh thread would be helpful.

Sorry I cannot be much help.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Yamaha-XJ-900-Diversion-ECU-CDI-Electronic-Brain-XJ900-/270381909945?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item3ef40487b9

I don't know where you live but there is one here for £52.00